Friday, July 27, 2007

Destiny and Ramblings

I didn't blog about this yesterday but I kinda fell on my wallet at the Other Yarn Store that's near my work and somehow ended up with a 50 g ball of Misti Alpaca Worsted that had been on clearance for a couple weeks. There were no other balls in this dye lot, which may have been why it was cheap. It's a soft dusty pink color and my hooker coworker (by which I mean that she crochets) wanted to steal it for a chin pillow. It is lovely, soft, sweet-smelling and luscious.

It is also useless.

What was I thinking? What can a knitter make with only one small ball of pink alpaca? I know I could knit my dog a sweater with it and still have some leftovers but I'm not mean enough to put my male dog in a pink sweater. Even if he does weigh four pounds as a fully grown dog.

Since it's been established it was the only ball in its dye lot I can't even go back and get more. I have just purchased a high-class orphan and have nothing worthy enough to pair with it. The stash yielded navy, pink, and rust red cashmere blends, but the colors are all off compared to the alpaca. The only other really really rilly nice yarns (silk blends, super fine merino) I have are fingering weight, sport weight, or fated for socks-- except for my linen worsted, which you could not PAY me to put with this stuff. I have other alpaca yarn, but it's 14 skeins of bulky weight for a blanket I'll be making once I feel worthy of the fiber, and a tangled skein of amethyst jewel-tone bulky I planned on turning into a neckwarmer but frogged when my previous attempt ended in failure and never rewound.

Most of my stash has a purpose, with the exception of some of the acrylic and nylon novelty yarns I purchased before I knew better. Especially the doodoo brown eyelash yarn with variegated grey and tan bobbles twined around it. I have a vague memory of planning a lace scarf for my sister but I've been blessed with amnesia on the details.

Even the Red Heart and other worsted weight acrylic yarns have a purpose. They are for things I want to last until the next ice age, some stuffed animals I don't want to felt, moth repulsion, and cheap presents for people I don't care for. Also, awful plastic-feeling acrylics are a good deterrent for the "can you knit me something?" beggars. My answer? "Sure! Here's a scratchy, cheap, neon yellow and pink scarf that will haunt your nightmares until you die!" (Yes, I'm evil.)

So I have a single ball of pink alpaca that still has no destiny. There's a Knitting Lesson in here somewhere, but darned it I can put it to words.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I'll bring my one skein book tonight for you to look at. Have you thought about Knitty's Fetching?

Crafty Jester said...

Actually, I can't come tonight. Since my parents are out of town I'm Peppy's sole caretaker and have to go straight home after work. ;.;

It sucks, for me and Peppy both. He's stuck at home alone with noone to worship him and let him out and I have to be stuck at work all day knowing he's stuck in his pen with only the dodo and his potty litter box.

Poor Peppy. ;.;